Thursday, February 16, 2006

2/16/06 Tell Me Who I Am

Lately, I have run across several cases of children who were abducted as youngsters many, many, years ago. Sometimes the case details give you hope that these children were taken to start a new life, and they are not victims of foul play. In this type of abduction, the abductor will typically convince the child that the parents (or rightful caregivers) are dead or do not want to care for the child anymore. Young children may not discern truth from lies, and may come to believe what they have been told. Years go by and they go on with their lives, most often with new names and fading memories of a past not spoken about or one that is falsified.

I would like to ask you to look at your friends, co-workers, and anyone else you come into contact with on a regular basis. I believe that a good percentage of these persons may be alive, and we need your eyes to find help them. We need you to take part in telling them who they are. It is not, of course, suggested that you confront such a person with this information, but instead immediately call the LE agency listed and give them as much information as you can about the person. Let them handle it.

I will publish new segments for "Tell Me Who I Am" as I run across these cases.

I thank you for caring about the missing.

The second in the series is Anna Waters. Her mother tells her story:

"The story of Anna Christian Waters, who went missing from home Jan. 16, 1973, is one of the oldest cases on the records of the National Association for Missing and Exploited Children, who calls her disappearance a probable non-family abduction. An intelligent and effervescent five-year-old, Anna lived in a rural area 45 miles south of San Francisco with her mother, father, and two half-brothers.

She began kindergarten in Half Moon Bay in September, 1972. Her mother was an aide in the kindergarten class. On Jan. 16, a Tuesday, the school bus dropped her off in front of her house in the early afternoon. Her mother, stepfather and two friends were conversing in the living room.

Anna changed into play clothes and went out the back door and into the back yard to play.

About fifteen minutes later, her mother became uneasy because she heard no sounds from the yard. She went outside and called, and when she got no answer, she called the other adults, who began looking around the farm and calling for Anna. They became alarmed and called the San Mateo Sheriff’s Department, who immediately sent a car, sounded their siren, and joined the search.

A visitor who said he had greeted Anna as he approached the front of the house was questioned and said he had seen nothing suspicious except a white van carrying an old man and a young man who seemed overly friendly. This visitor joined the search.

A helicopter crew and divers were called. The divers searched Purisima Creek, which ran behind the property nearby. The family and the deputies continued the search of the grounds and creek until nightfall and posted a watch overnight. In the days following, crews from the honor camp, neighbors, explorer scouts, friends, and professional fishermen continued the search. The local newspaper called the case "the greatest search in Coastside history."

Anna’s father, a physician practicing in San Francisco, was questioned and investigated regarding her disappearance, but nothing was found connecting him to the case. Kidnapping for ransom was ruled out when no demands were made.

After divers had explored the three-mile length of Purisima Creek, pulling out and examining every log-jam and barrier, officials stated that they were "ninety per cent sure" that they had not missed her, had she gone into the creek. A geologist issued a report on silting and tide patterns, showing that it was next to impossible that no body would be recovered, had it gone into the creek.

Since the founding ot the National Association for Missing and Exploited Children, the organization has distributed photographs of Anna which included several age-advanced renditions.

Not the slightest clue has ever been found to Anna’s disappearance. No article of clothing, no sighting, nothing. In 2005, a family friend decided to take some approaches to the investigation which had not been tried in the days before the Internet was available. A private detective who had been on the case in the 1980s reopened the investigation. A crime-solving Internet forum, WebSleuths, opened a thread which at present has more than 500 postings."

The Websleuths thread about Anna can be found here:

Project Jason updates on Anna's case:


Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thread on websleuths is fascinating. So much input and ideas and new angles. I certainly hope they get a break through.

Continued prayers!


12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.