Sunday, December 13, 2009

Home for the Holidays: Monica Carrasco 12/13/09

Monica Carrasco, missing from Balmorhea, TX since 10/1/2003

Written by Kathy Carrasco, mother of Monica

On Oct. 2 2003, between 1:30am and 6:00 am, my daughter, Monica Carrasco disappeared from her aunt and uncle's home in Balmorhea,Texas. She was 16 yrs old at the time and will turn 23 yrs old this December 13th. All her belongings were left behind: her clothes, shoes, purse, and suitcase. The only thing that seemed to be missing was her bible, which I just bought her a few weeks before she disappeared.

The holidays are the most difficult to deal with. It's our faith in God and constant prayer that keeps us going. I'm so blessed to have my son John, my daughter- in- law Silvia, grand-daughter Cassandra, (3 yrs) grandson Santiago, (18months) my daughter Rachel, and my parents. For all those who give me encouragement and hope, I am truly grateful.

One of my fondest Christmas memories of my daughter, Monica, I wish to share is her wonderfully humorous giving and generous nature. Monica always tried to give everyone what they wished for. She knew all so well that her siblings and others would have the tendency to examine presents under the tree and try to figure out what the gifts were. So she devised a plan of putting gifts into larger boxes (adding a few heavy items such as rocks,etc) . On Christmas eve, it was hilarious to watch the family members opens Monica's specially wrapped gifts. When I say "big" boxes , that would be no exaggeration. Now visualize unwrapping a gift... opening a box... another box....another box...etc.

I started a "Hope"chest where I have been placing Monica's Christmas gifts. I hope and pray that she will come home soon. The Hope chest symbolizes that we never gave up hope and "believe she will come home.

I'd like to close by sharing a poem written by Monica:

My Winter Snowman

During
The winter
The weather is cold
And snowflakes drop
To the road so cold. The
Snowman that I build are
very unique, they look like cotton
and glow like stars. Winter to me
is very special, it is the best season of the
year because it is Christmas and your family
get together, open presents and there is the birth of
Jesus Christ
Our Lord
And Savior


By Monica Carrasco


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.