Thursday, April 27, 2006

4/27/06 (PMP) The Bitter End, Part I

Just when I thought I was safe from offers to use a psychic in the search for my missing son, along came an insistent request from where I least expected it: a family member.

Most of the family knew our position on using psychics, which came into being from our previous experiences and that of other families we assisted in our work with Project Jason.

To summarize, we do not say that it is impossible for a person to truly have psychic abilities, but the evidence points in the opposite direction, regardless of what they claim. There simply is no evidence that using paranormal means ever solved a missing person’s case. On the other hand, there is a multitude of evidence that psychics’ claims are nothing more than their own wishful thinking or even delusions. Psychics should never involve a missing person’s family in their guess generation. If they truly believe they possess valuable information about a missing person, they should notify the law enforcement in charge of the case.

I was shocked when the relative mentioned above called me about a psychic she’d heard about. I will call this relative Jane, so as not to harm family relations. Another relative was also involved, and I will call her Ann.

Jane told me a story about how a friend of Ann’s was a psychic, but she did not know it when they first met. Ann, her friend, and the psychic, Julie, went out to dinner. The story goes that Julie knew something about Ann’s daughter that no one else could have possibly known. Ann told Julie the fact that she had a missing relative, and she asked if Julie ever did readings for missing person’s cases. Julie in fact, claimed to assist her local police in solving numerous cases. She offered to do a reading for Jason for a discount. ($50) Ann called Jane soon after the dinner, to relay the news about Julie’s offer.

Jane called me, and approached the issue carefully. I told her that I was not going to listen to any more of these frauds’ tales. She begged me, telling me that as Jason’s relative, she felt she had to do something to help find him, and that she could not pass up this opportunity. I did everything I could to dissuade her, and reminded her of the great pain these stories, conjured up by psychics, caused. I reminded her that no psychic has ever solved a missing person’s case by use of paranormal means. Jane was quite convinced that Julie was the real thing. I told her to do the reading with Julie, but she insisted it had to be with me. She promised me that she would only ask me this one time.

I only relented to keep relationships intact. I did not want to do this. Ever fiber of my being shouted “NO”! I tried to think of a positive outcome, in that Jane might finally realize that she had been duped, not just by Julie, but by all of the psychics on TV that she was so enamored of. I told Jane there would be no second chances, and that even if the most famous psychic in the world offered a reading after that point, I would not do it. I asked her to think carefully about that, but she wanted to proceed.

Julie and Ann lived in northern Kentucky, near Ohio. All of the communications prior to the reading took place between Ann, Jane, and Julie. Jane asked me for some possessions of Jason’s. I was to ship these to Jane, who would in turn, ship them to Ann. I did not choose Jason’s most favorite things, just in case I was to never receive them back.

I asked Jane if Ann had told Julie Jason’s full name. I told her to be sure to tell Ann NOT to tell Julie anything about Jason, including where we live, or his last name. At first she did not, but then I heard she did later on, in plenty of time for Julie to do case research before the reading. Why she did this, I do not know. I can only assume that Julie asked Ann, and Ann complied. I was not very happy. If Julie was truly psychic, and she only needed a few possessions for the reading, as far as I was concerned, that was all she should get.

The items were sent and received and the date for the reading was set up. It was on a weekday evening. Ann was to meet at Julie’s home and initiate 2 phone calls. I never knew why she could not set up a regular conference call. We had Julie on one phone with me and on another phone with Jane. I would not be able to hear what Jane said.

Ann’s job was to take notes about the reading. As a part of the discounted $50 fee, I would receive the notes Ann took, plus a tape recording of the session.

I hoped that the reading would get over quickly. I had no more time to dwell on my anxieties about it, because just then, the phone rang, startling me.

To be continued…………..

We understand that many people believe that psychics are effective in solving crimes and finding missing people. Please keep in mind that the goal of this series is to help families understand techniques used by persons making these claims and make better decisions about the use of psychics.

Project Jason and its volunteers cannot act as a clearinghouse for persons claiming success in using paranormal means to locate missing persons. We will be unable to respond to emails or other correspondence sent to us from persons making these claims or persons offering information about or referrals to psychics.

We instead invite those persons to present their evidence to the members of the James Randi Education Foundation. They have a forum available for you to discuss your claims. http://forums.randi.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Jump to the next story in the series:
http://voice4themissing.blogspot.com/2006/04/42806-pmp-bitter-end-part-ii.html

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh! I can't believe this is still happening! How extremely frustrating. And I am guessing that this won't have a positive outcome. Sorry people have to keep upsetting you like this.

Hugs.

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't understand how "Jane" and "Ann"...

I'm sorry. Words fail me. That they would subject you to this, after knowing your feelings on the subject, is BEYOND inhumane to me.

And the fact that this fraud psychic was "kind" enough to spout this crap to you at a "discount..." What a humanitarian.

Kelly, I hope you never let anyone push you into this sort of a situation again, no matter how well-intentioned they seem, nor how distressed they get at your refusal.

I think you need to worry less about fools who are trying to foist this nonsense upon you, and more about yourself.

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.