Sunday, October 16, 2005

10/16/05 Gina Would be Proud

Today I traveled to Lincoln, NE to spend the afternoon with the family of missing Gina Bos. It was a family reunion of sorts for them, as many family members have moved away. I know they wish they did not have to reunite for this reason, but I am sure they also know how much good has come of Gina's disappearance in the shared work of her sister, Jannel. (please read more in my last post)

Besides Gina's family and me, there were two other families of the missing in attendance, one of whom I have already been assisting. I spoke with the other family and gave them some helpful advice on some things they can do to help find their missing loved one. While the day had its difficult moments emotionally, this one was a high point for me. I always feel so blessed to be able to guide and comfort these families. When you see in their eyes that moment of empowerment, then you know that all of the pain is worth it. It can be turned into good. It is such a privilege to do this work.

The low point was the sadness that we have to have yet another missing anniversary for Gina. It was my 4th one with them. We shouldn't have to do this. We shouldn't have to live in the not knowing for such a long time. We believe that there is someone who knows the answers, and we just want them to be given the courage to come forward.

In thinking about Gina's 5th year missing, came the cold slap in the face. Our next annual anniversary will be Jason's 5th year missing. I shudder to think about it, and today was the first time that I ever thought about it. It caused me difficulty when it came my turn to speak.

After I spoke, it was the turn of the member of the family I had already been working with, and as we walked by each other, me on my way back to my seat, and she on her way to the stage, I reached out and touched her as a means to give comfort and strength. For some reason, that touch, I believe, renewed my strength perhaps more than any given to her. It's amazing how that works, don't you think?

Yes, Gina would be so proud. Look what Gina and Jason have done, and they are not even with us. Now that is a miracle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.