Sunday, September 18, 2005

9/18/05 "Somewhere Out There" Part I

Somewhere Out There
Written by James Horner, Barry Mann, Cynthia Weil

“Somewhere out there beneath the pale moonlight
Someone's thinking of me and loving me tonight
Somewhere out there someone's saying a prayer
That we'll find one another in that big somewhere out there

And even though I know how very far apart we are
It helps to think we might be wishing on the same bright star
And when the night wind starts to sing a lonesome lullaby
It helps to think we're sleeping underneath the same big sky...”

That bright star is named Yolanda Anne Bindics.

On September 29, 2004, a star was named after Yolanda, and this year, on Yolanda’s 27th birthday, her family will travel to the planetarium to locate Yolanda’s star in the vast heavens. As they do this, they will be thinking of the song “Somewhere Out There”, and its meaning to all of them. Yolanda, however, won’t be there. Yolanda disappeared from Jamestown, NY over a year ago now.

Yolanda was born on September 29th, 1978 to Patricia and Imre Bindics. Yolanda is the youngest of 11 children. She was welcomed to a bustling, but loving household of 6 sisters and 4 brothers. She and Margaret, the second to youngest child, shared a very special relationship. In fact, growing up some thought they were twins, as they look so much alike, and at times, they “felt” like twins, sensing the emotions of the other, and feeling something wrong when the other was in some sort of trouble.

The Bindics family didn't have a whole lot of money while growing up, but what they did have was something more valuable that money couldn’t buy, which is an abundance of love. That's all that really mattered to them. They didn't need much money as long as they had each other.

As the children grew up, their mother took care of them, but at the same time pursued a college degree. Their father worked as a handyman and also painted houses.

Margaret wants us to know Yolanda as she does: “Yolanda's a very lovable woman. She’s like a magnet. People were drawn to her. She definitely played her role as a mother, daughter, sister, aunt, and friend very well. Yolanda is very thoughtful, outgoing, friendly, trustworthy, unselfish and a lot of fun to be around. She would cheer you up in a heartbeat if you were down. Yolanda is like the life of a party, when she walks in the room, the party begins. She would go the extra mile to make someone happy.To know Yolanda is to love her.

When I picture Yolanda, I picture her smile first. Next, I can’t help but to chuckle when I picture some of the goofiest things she would do to make me laugh. She loved it though. She enjoys making others happy, laugh and feel good. Yolanda has such a wonderful sense of humor.

When little girls play dress up, it’s usually with make-up, dresses and hats. That wasn’t the case with Yolanda and me. One of the funniest things we used to do is play dress up with our mother’s clothes, but we would get into them together and try to walk around the house without falling over. We would start with the right foot and then left and so forth. One of us would intentionally step forward with the wrong foot just so that we would purposely fall over.

Something else Yolanda used to do when she was younger that always makes me laugh until this day is when she would do her “doggie” thing. She would put on a pair of stretchy pants with her knees in first through the legs, so her knees would both be at the bottom of the pant legs instead of her feet. Then she would pull the waistband up to her waist and over her feet with her knees bent, of course. Her feet would then look like a dog’s tail. When she walks away from the other people in the room, on her knees, it looks like a dog from behind. It’s hilarious!!

As of today, I do the “doggie” thing just to make everyone laugh and because it’ll always remind me of Yolanda. When I think about how much laughter Yolanda brought to my life, I really miss her so much more.”

The Bindics boys played for the Westside Little League Football, while the older sisters cheered. Yolanda and Margaret were too young to cheer, so the league considered them to be the mascots for the cheerleading team. The children have good memories of the fun they had growing up together, and this was just one of many.

When the two youngest sisters were old enough, they also played softball on a team called the Yankees on the same Westside Little League. Yolanda played left field and Margaret was the catcher.

Margaret was married on September 27, 1997, two days before Yolanda's 19th birthday. Even though they were on their honeymoon, Margaret and her new husband treated Yolanda to dinner for her birthday since their flight didn’t depart until a couple days later.

The night before Margaret’s wedding, the bridal attendants (girls only) stayed together at one of the other sister’s home. On the morning of the wedding, Margaret treated them to breakfast, went to the salon immediately following breakfast, and then headed to the wedding site. It was an outdoor wedding, and Margaret was really nervous and was panicking. She was afraid that she would make a mistake in her vows, or perhaps trip as she was walking down the aisle. She was even afraid that she would forget the marriage certificate. When she walked down the aisle, and looked at Yolanda, Yolanda looked back and gave her a look like she had nothing to worry about and that everything was going to be just fine. At that point, Margaret once again affirmed that with her sister by her side, she didn't have anything to worry about. She was right. Everything went fine. Yolanda’s re-assuring glance reminded Margaret that even if something did go wrong, it would be okay and would give the sisters something to laugh about later.

Margaret says: “All of my life, Yolanda has always been by my side. So I knew that having her by my side on my wedding day is exactly where she belonged.

There was another time when Yolanda was right there by my side. We were out doing karaoke with a few other siblings. I've done karaoke several times before, but this time, for whatever reason, I was nervous and started messing up. A couple of my sisters were there, as well as a couple brothers. But who do you suppose came running up on stage to help me out?? You guessed it.... Yolanda. She was ALWAYS there by my side no matter what, when, where, why or how. Where is she now?? I need her by my side. I miss her so much.”

Yolanda transitioned into adulthood and brought 4 girls into the world. Margaret was so proud of Yolanda’s parenting skills. “Yolanda wants what's best for her children. They definitely come first in her eyes. Yolanda's known for her infamous saying to her daughters, which is "mind your manners" and they always did.

One of the things I miss the most is when Yolanda would call me because one of her daughters did something she was so proud of. It's the cutest thing and I miss it so much. Since I don't have children of my own, I always admired Yolanda. She’s such a wonderful Mommy to her children. I always told Yolanda how proud I am of her and what a terrific mother she is.”

On August 10th, 2004, Margaret found she had that feeling that something was wrong with Yolanda. Unfortunately, she was right. That’s when the laughter ended.

Part II of the story will be posted early Monday morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.