Friday, July 29, 2005

All About Underdog(s)

When I was a child, I used to watch the cartoon show "Underdog". This "humble, lovable" dog would be called into action and become "Underdog", a champion for justice. "There's no need to fear, Underdog is here!", the citizens would proclaim.

The American Oxford Dictionary tells us that an underdog is a person in an inferior or subordinate position.

One could say that I (representing Project Jason) am most decidedly an underdog. After all, we are one of the "new kids on the block" in comparison to some of the other missing person's organizations.

The cartoon Underdog would tell us: "Not bird, nor plane, nor even frog, it's just little 'ole me, Underdog !"

The fact that Underdog was mild mannered Shoeshine Boy in real life didn't stop him from his pursuit of justice, just as our simple, humble beginnings in a tiny kitchen in Omaha, Nebraska won't stop us from our pursuit to reunite missing persons with their families.

We are the underdogs working for the underdogs. You'll never see a post devoted to a missing person who has widespread media coverage. We want that person to be found just as much as we want all of the others to be found. It's a matter of resources and coverage.

A concerned citizen wrote me during the height of the Dru Sdjodin search, asking me to place Dru on one of our awareness campaigns, 18 Wheel Angels. I wrote them back and explained that Dru had more help and resources than the typical missing person receives. With only 24 campaigns per year on the program and close to 100,000 active missing person's cases to chose from, how could I justify using one of those campaigns for Dru? It's hard to choose as it is, and everytime I do, my heart breaks because of all the others that were not chosen.

The underdogs of the world of missing persons needs us. And, even more so, they need YOU!

You can be the eyes looking out for them. I will let you know about them, each and everyday. Will you be their champion?

Good news about Lydia Rupp: She was found safe and Augero is now behind bars. I pray that he did not violate her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.